Aromatherapy is a system of medicine based on the use of essential oils. These are natural oils, extracted by a process of distillation from a wide variety of trees and plants. Oils are unique and have useful medicinal properties when used correctly. Some have soothing, anti-inflammatory, antibacterial or antifungal actions. They can also help heal injuries and repel insects and other parasites, such as fleas.
Certain combinations of oils work well together and can be used to treat common conditions that affect dogs and cats. As aromatherapy oils are very concentrated, they need to be correctly formulated and diluted in base oils or lotions before they can be applied externally. Denes have a range of carefully prepared products that utilise a number of well-known oils.
DENES HOT ITCH LOTION
This is a soothing lotion for cats and dogs, formulated to cool the skin and help reduce the irritation and discomfort associated with skin conditions. Denes Hot Itch Lotion contains the following essential oils:
- Tea Tree. This oil is well known for its antiseptic properties. It has antibacterial, anti-fungal and antiviral activity.
- Blackberry. As an astringent, blackberry will help dry up moist areas and will assist healing. Especially useful where there are patches of wet eczema.
- Blood Root. This oil has anti-fungal properties.
- Musk Mallow. Eases pain and inflammation.
- Carrot Oil. Eases skin irritation.
- Juniper. Assists healing.
Denes Hot Itch Lotion can help with:
- Red, sore, hot areas of skin caused by eczema and dermatitis
- Itchy and inflamed areas of skin caused by allergy based problems
- Interdigital dermatitis
- Hot spots
- Wet eczema (after the affected area has been cleaned well and debris removed)
- Burns and scalds
Denes Hot Itch Lotion may be applied twice daily to the affected areas, by gentle massage.
DENES MITE CREAM
Formulated in a cream base with oils that will help ease skin conditions associated with parasitic mites, such as harvest mites and mange mites. Can be used on both cats and dogs. Denes Mite Cream contains the following oils:
- Cedarwood. Has antiseptic and anti-fungal properties. As an astringent it will help dry moist areas. It also helps reduce the oil level where the skin is greasy.
- Sweet Flag. Known for its insecticidal properties. It also has antibacterial and antiseptic properties.
Denes Mite Cream should be applied twice daily to the affected areas, by gentle massage.
DENES EAR CLEANER
A general ear cleaner with oils formulated in a lotion base. Can be used regularly to help remove excessive build up of wax in both cats and dogs. Useful in treating ear mite problems and in soothing sore inflamed ears. Denes Ear Cleaner contains the following essential oils:
- Tea Tree. Included as it has proven antibacterial and anti-fungal properties.
- Chamomile. Well known as an anti-inflammatory oil and will help relieve irritation and soreness.
Denes Ear Cleaner should be instilled into each ear once daily and massaged thoroughly to work the oils into the ear canal. Excess lotion should be carefully wiped out along with any waxy material or debris.
DENES SKIN BALM
This is a traditionally made balm with soothing and healing properties, which can be used to treat localised areas of dermatitis and eczema, small wounds and broken skin. It is also beneficial in treating ringworm. It contains:
- Camphor. Camphor has anti-inflammatory properties and is also used for its antiviral, antibacterial and antiseptic effects.
- Tea Tree. Included because of its antibacterial and anti-fungal properties. Tea Tree oil also stimulates healing of wounds.
- Poke Root. Traditionally used to help eliminate mites and other parasitic skin problems.
Denes Skin Balm should be applied two or three times daily. Cleanse the skin first with warm water and mild soap. After rinsing, work the balm into the affected area while it is still wet. Rub in well.
ESSENTIAL OIL SHAMPOO
Denes Essential Oil Shampoohas been formulated to help relieve common skin problems in dogs, including itching and scratching. It will also help deter fleas and similar parasites. Based on seaweed and birch extracts, it also contains the following essential oils:
- Lavender. Included for its soothing effects. It will help heal sore and inflamed areas. It also acts as a deterrent to fleas.
- Cedarwood. Helps remove excess oils from the skin as well as helping dry up sore areas.
First wet the coat and work Essential Oil Shampoo gently into the hair. Massage well and finally rinse off with warm water. Dry the coat thoroughly afterwards.